What To Do if You Lose Your W-2

If you have searched everywhere you can think and still haven’t been able to locate your W-2, we have good news: there are still steps for you to take. Continue reading to discover the steps to take if you have lost your W-2 and how to go about recovering a new copy. Plus, tips on filing your tax return without the need for a W-2.

If you have any further questions regarding this topic, do not hesitate to contact our experienced New Jersey certified public accountant and consultant for assistance. We would be happy to walk you through any questions you might have.

Contact Your Current/Former Employer

The first step you should take after you have discovered your W-2 has been lost is to reach out to your current or former employer who issued the W-2 form. They should still hold a record of your employment history and may be able to issue you a duplicate form of your W-2.

Reach Out to the IRS

If your former employer is unable to help you obtain your W-2, your next option is to request a transcript copy directly from the IRS. This option is only possible if you filed your taxes from the previous tax year. The IRS will be able to provide a wage and income transcript, but will not be able to provide an exact copy of your W-2. The income transcript the IRS will be able to provide will contain the federal tax information your employer reported to the Social Security Administration for the corresponding year. Once the IRS receives your request to get a copy of the transcript you should receive the copy within 10 business days. Transcripts are available for up to 10 years prior.

Check Your Self-Prepared Tax Software

It may be possible for you to access a previous year’s W-2 if you uploaded and saved it to your account if you use self-prepared tax software. This may be available to you if you manually uploaded the document when filing your taxes for the previous tax year. It is important to understand that tax documents do not automatically import each year.

It is possible to file without your W-2

To file your tax return on time when you are missing your W-2 form, you will simply use Form 4852 instead, which is a substitute form for a W-2.

What should I do if I received my W-2 after filing my tax return?

If you have received your W-2 after filing your tax return, you will need t correct the return if you estimated your income incorrectly and filed based on this information. You will use Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to amend your return. It can take up to 16 weeks for your amended to return to be processed.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

Werdann DeVito LLC is an experienced Certified Public Accountant firm serving clients throughout New Jersey with all of their financial needs. If you need quality assistance with accounting, tax, or consulting services, contact Werdann DeVito LLC today.